Friday, February 27, 2009

The Speech That Was Oscar-worthy


Though the Oscars were last Sunday I am still reeling from the show it truly was an ode back to old Hollywood and one of the best I have ever seen, and for me there was one speech that really touched me and will never forget. Dustin Lance Black , who won for Best Orginal Screenplay for Milk ( which told the story of Harvey Milk the first gay man to be elected into a political office in California, he later on in his career devoted his time to fight for egual rights for gays and lesbians), Lance's way of portraying the iconic character was impeccable ,and you could tell how much the story meant to him , being like many of us going through the struggles of being gay in a society that can be not as accepting as we'd like. Lance said in his winning speech ; "When I was 13-years-old, my beautiful mother and my father moved me from a conservative Mormon home in San Antonio, Texas to California, and I heard the story of Harvey Milk. And it gave me hope. It gave me the hope to live my life. It gave me the hope one day I could live my life openly as who I am and then maybe even I could even fall in love and one day get married.
“I wanna thank my mom, who has always loved me for who I am even when there was pressure not to. But most of all, if Harvey had not been taken from us 30 years ago, I think he’d want me to say to all of the gay and lesbian kids out there tonight who have been told that they are less than by their churches, by the government or by their families, that you are beautiful, wonderful creatures of value and that no matter what anyone tells you, God does love you and that very soon, I promise you, you will have equal rights federally, across this great nation of ours. Thank you. Thank you. And thank you, God, for giving us Harvey Milk.” His words moved me so much I have never been overwhelmed with so much emotion , he fully encapsulated all what myself and others as gay people need to hear, that we are beautiful no matter what anyone says , and we must always remember that.


2 comments:

Jake said...

tht's truly remarkable!

Zara said...

tht was really gr88